Dear Auntie

Advice with Aloha

Dear Auntie

Auntie

Welcome to “Dear Auntie” a column for students who need encouraging and wise words. Feel free to write to Auntie anytime you need advice. All students questions will be printed anonymously. 

Dear Auntie, I’m stressed and am struggling to catch up on work in my classes. It is a crazy, busy time in my life right now and I feel like I am all over the place with school work and chores at home. How can I balance out my schedule and keep up on everything?

Dear Student,  Don’t worry! First of all, take a few deep calming breaths. A good strategy to use in this situation is to start working on the very first things that need to get done. The things that are due soon get done first. Then work your way from the assignments that are due very soon to the ones that are due to a later time. Pace yourself. It’s good to organize yourself. You can use tools like calendars or lists to stay organized. At home, you can spend fifteen minutes doing homework then switch to chores, and back and forth. But you should also take brain breaks in between for the sake of your health. It is unhealthy to overload yourself. 

All the best, Auntie

Dear Auntie,  Is it better to tell a lie that soothes or a horrible truth that could hurt someone? 

Dear Student, Even though a lie that may soothe someone’s feelings is a choice that is tempting to make, it will not make things better because if that person finds out about the lie then they will not trust you at all and be even more hurt. It is better to tell the terrible truth and get everything cleared up because the healing of the relationship will proceed after that. Things will get worse first before they get better. But what matters is that they will get better in the end. 

With Aloha, Auntie

Dear Auntie, As a teenager, I deal with a lot of insecurities about myself. How can I boost my self confidence?

Dear Student,  What you are going through is very common in teenagers. Remember that you are not the only one going through this. It is a phase that all teenagers go through. To boost your self confidence you should recognize all the things you are good at and be kind to yourself. Reflect on the good. Embrace the teenage awkwardness. You should prioritize your own needs and assert your value. When you look in a mirror, see all the good things in you, don’t try to find negative things in your reflection. Believe that you are more than you think because you are 🙂

Sincerely, Auntie