Valentine’s Version: Dear Auntie

Advice with Aloha

Valentines Version: Dear Auntie

Kaylee Rodrigues-Vincent

Dear Auntie,

People have been teasing me about having a crush. What can I do about it?

-Anonymous 

Dear Student,

This is common, especially with kids and teenagers. If the teasing has been unbearably embarrassing then try to talk to them and explicitly share how you feel on the matter with them and ask them to stop. You could try asking an adult that you’re comfortable with to help with the situation if it gets worse and they don’t stop. 

<3 Auntie

Dear Auntie, 

How do I get someone I like to like me back? Should I change my appearance or act more attractively?

-Anonymous

Dear Student, 

DO NOT change yourself for other people. If they don’t like you for who you are then it is not your problem. Be yourself and don’t try to change your personality or physical appearance to attract someone you like. Maybe just go up to that person and start up a conversation and try to get to know them or ask them to hang out some time. If they don’t like you the same way then don’t waste any of your time trying to chase after them. Find someone who will appreciate you for you. 

Sincerely, Auntie

Dear Auntie,

I like someone and want to ask them out for valentines day but I am too shy. Can you give me advice on how to approach them?

-Anonymous

Dear Student, 

Being shy in this situation is natural. Take a deep breath and walk up to them and be straightforward and pose the question out there. If you get it over faster then you won’t dwell on it and get more nervous because it will result in you not wanting to approach them at all. This is one way you can do it and there are other ways to ask someone to be your valentine too. Maybe write a card or note and leave it in their bag or give it to them in person or make a friend give it to them. 

With Aloha, Auntie

Dear Auntie,

How do I deal with rejection? Am I not enough? Should

-Anonymous 

Dear Student,

Rejection hurts but you can get over it fortunately. Some coping mechanisms to deal with rejection are taking a step back (figuratively) and spending some time processing your emotions. You should prioritize self-care too. Also, spend time with people that are supportive and care about you like friends and family. I believe that rejection is just fate’s way of saying that maybe that person just isn’t the right one for you. Once you do some self-reflecting then you can open up to dating and relationships again. Remember: You can’t love someone else if you don’t love yourself first. 

Yours Truly, Auntie

Dear Auntie,

Is it possible to be in love with more than one person and to be in a relationship with more than one person? How should you properly deal with a situation like this?

-Anonymous

Dear Student,

Yes it is possible to be in love with more than one person. Relationships with more than two members are rare but possible. As long as everyone is aware of the situation and willingly consents to this open love then it will work. Polyamorous relationships aren’t for everyone. But it should be known that in a relationship, being loyal to one person doesn’t mean that you have to be disloyal to someone else. Someone would never make you choose over who to be with if they truly love you for who you are and vice versa. 

Best, Auntie