The Dragon Post

The Student News Site of Honokaʻa High and Intermediate School

• Happy Earth Day

Announcements

Happy Earth Day

• Q4: Finish Strong!

Announcements

Q4: Finish Strong!

• 2024 HACAC Student Scholarship

Announcements

2024 HACAC Student Scholarship

• CTE Fair 2024: Congratulations to Mr. Mendoza and DECA!

Announcements

CTE Fair 2024: Congratulations to Mr. Mendoza and DECA!

• Washburns HHIS Jazz Band Tours Oahu

Arts & Entertainment

Washburn’s HHIS Jazz Band Tours Oahu

• Who Do I Look Up To?

Student Voices

Who Do I Look Up To?

• Earth Day

Features

Earth Day

• The Effects of Plastic Pollution on Hawaiis Marine Life

News

The Effects of Plastic Pollution on Hawaii’s Marine Life

• All the Worlds a Stage . . .

Student Voices

All the World’s a Stage . . .

• Baristas at the Anela Cafe

News

Cafe ‘Anela

The Dragon Post

The Dragon Post

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Social Media: Friend or Foe?

Social Media: Friend or Foe?

I can recall that when I was younger, I didn’t rely on technology to keep me entertained. Now, I have fallen victim to just occupying myself with scrolling, liking, favoriting, and reposting posts on TikTok. Honestly, most everyone has become a prisoner to their cell phones. People are now getting less exercise and the physical health crisis is only rising as time passes and more phones are manufactured; it almost makes people forget how to live their lives. Although the internet gives access for people to find others with similar interests, this also causes loneliness with having online friends and having no face to face conversations. The main issue, however, is that people are too obsessed with technology and rely on it too much.

Social media has become an addictive thing that nearly runs everyone’s lives one way or another. Even Aanya Narbheram in her article “How has TikTok influenced our society from 2019-2023?” states, “The power of TikTok can’t be underestimated— it can make or break someone else’s career. It can influence people’s perceptions on others. It can also lead to the spread of various trends… Whether it be food blogs, dance trends or transition videos, TikTok offers some form of entertainment for people universally. In fact, it has over 1 billion active users monthly— could we even go as far to say TikTok is becoming the most influential app ever created?”(Narbheram 1). It’s clear to see how an app as simple as TikTok is able to influence everyone’s perspectives on each other. Not only is it TikTok; but all sorts of social media are being relied upon for entertainment and have become the main thing most people go on for hours.

However, some argue that the internet and social media are good platforms to speak your mind and make friends. This may seem like a benefit, since many users and people could relate then become friends. But, why should someone trust another person online? Social media gives others access to another person’s life and that causes strangers to know more about a person unknowingly. Also, life becomes more depressing if someone just spends time talking to people on a screen and having no physical conversations. Wouldn’t it be better to have a life where friends are near and not only exist through direct messages?

Social media is something that most people are obsessed with and use way too much. It is something that can either give someone a good reputation or can make a person hated by everyone online as Aanya Narbheram stated. This is a terrible thing since one mistake online could lead to death threats and depression. Also, having online friends doesn’t always benefit a person’s life if tyou never know what that person is really like. Having real physical conversations will make someone feel less alone in the world. Overall, there are better and healthier ways to spend your time rather than mindlessly scrolling through social media.

“How Has TikTok Influenced Our Society from 2019-2023?” Yahoo News, Aanya Narbheram, 28 Mar. 2023, 

View Comments (1)