The Dragon Post

The Student News Site of Honokaʻa High and Intermediate School

• Happy Earth Day

Announcements

Happy Earth Day

• Q4: Finish Strong!

Announcements

Q4: Finish Strong!

• 2024 HACAC Student Scholarship

Announcements

2024 HACAC Student Scholarship

• CTE Fair 2024: Congratulations to Mr. Mendoza and DECA!

Announcements

CTE Fair 2024: Congratulations to Mr. Mendoza and DECA!

• Washburns HHIS Jazz Band Tours Oahu

Arts & Entertainment

Washburn’s HHIS Jazz Band Tours Oahu

• Who Do I Look Up To?

Student Voices

Who Do I Look Up To?

• Earth Day

Features

Earth Day

• The Effects of Plastic Pollution on Hawaiis Marine Life

News

The Effects of Plastic Pollution on Hawaii’s Marine Life

• All the Worlds a Stage . . .

Student Voices

All the World’s a Stage . . .

• Baristas at the Anela Cafe

News

Cafe ‘Anela

The Dragon Post

The Dragon Post

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

New Year’s Resolutions

New Years Resolutions

With the coming of the new year, we’ve decided to interview people about their New Year’s Resolutions! We found that most of them wanted to be able to get through the year with no struggles or just have a good year. Some simple tips to having a great year are being mindful of the present, caring for yourself, practicing self care, and spending quality time with friends and family.     

Many students have said they wanted to take care of themselves better. Taking care of yourself both physically and mentally is very important. It has many benefits, for example, it boosts energy, improves productivity, and lowers stress levels. Just doing things like exercising, eating regular meals, and staying hydrated are considered taking care of yourself. 

Another New Year’s Resolution that is popular is getting good grades and passing classes. Getting good grades and making sure to pass classes is great, unless you end up stressing about them. So if you end up stressed over school, you can take time to relax while also studying. 

A few people said they wanted to get better at their sport. To get better at something, people would mostly say to practice, while that is true, you can also do other things as well. For example, setting goals, building confidence, and understanding the sport better. Doing these things can help you slowly improve yourself and do better at whatever it is you’re doing, it doesn’t have to be sports. It could even be getting better at a hobby, or playing an instrument.

Some also said they wanted to eat better. Having a healthy diet is essential to having good health and nutrition. Not only that, it can improve your mental health. If you struggle on eating better, you can simply set small goals that can lead to a big goal. You can also follow the five C’s, consistency, courage, cooperation, communication, and confidence. 

We also heard some say they hope to have good relationships. Maintaining good relationships with others is important to one’s health and helps provide the necessary support. To maintain these good relationships, you can simply set boundaries, talk and listen, and reflect and learn from past mistakes. The most important ways to maintain good relationships are respecting one another, trusting each other, communicating with each other, being understanding, being honest, and being caring towards each other. 

Last but not least, people want to be more social and make more friends. It’s very normal to experience nervousness or shyness when putting yourself out there. If you want to start becoming more social, you can start by being more confident in who you are, stepping outside of your comfort zone, planning conversation starters ahead of time, or asking easy-to-answer questions to bring up topics you’re into. 

Hopefully, by the end of this year, everyone will accomplish their New Year’s resolutions. But, most importantly, we hope everyone’s year goes smoothly and is filled with positivity. Have a great 2024!

View Comments (3)