The Dragon Post

The Student News Site of Honokaʻa High and Intermediate School

• Happy Earth Day

Announcements

Happy Earth Day

• Q4: Finish Strong!

Announcements

Q4: Finish Strong!

• 2024 HACAC Student Scholarship

Announcements

2024 HACAC Student Scholarship

• CTE Fair 2024: Congratulations to Mr. Mendoza and DECA!

Announcements

CTE Fair 2024: Congratulations to Mr. Mendoza and DECA!

• Washburns HHIS Jazz Band Tours Oahu

Arts & Entertainment

Washburn’s HHIS Jazz Band Tours Oahu

• Who Do I Look Up To?

Student Voices

Who Do I Look Up To?

• Earth Day

Features

Earth Day

• The Effects of Plastic Pollution on Hawaiis Marine Life

News

The Effects of Plastic Pollution on Hawaii’s Marine Life

• All the Worlds a Stage . . .

Student Voices

All the World’s a Stage . . .

• Baristas at the Anela Cafe

News

Cafe ‘Anela

The Dragon Post

The Dragon Post

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

MLK Day

Civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. addresses the crowd at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., where he gave his “I Have a Dream” speech on Aug. 28, 1963, as part of the March on Washington. AFP via Getty Images

On November 2, 1983, Martin Luther King Jr. Day was established as a federal holiday on the third Monday in January. Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday celebrates the legacy and work of Martin Luther King Jr. King’s legacy has inspired and paved the way for activism among future generations. But, despite his impact, the journey for a holiday in Martin Luther King Jr.’s honor was challenging.

Axios

The campaign for a holiday honoring King began on April 4, 1968, just four days after his assassination. In the aftermath of his death, the nation came under deep distress. Despite the mass shock of his death, the proposal for a holiday commemorating his life received little to no support from Congress. Despite the setback, John Conyers, the congressman who first proposed the bill continued his campaign to honor Martin Luther King Jr., undeterred by the lack of support. He persisted, “To me, [King] is the outstanding international leader of the 20th century without ever holding office. What he did — I doubt anyone else could have done” (NMAACHC). 

Luther King Jr’s character with documents alleging the activist was a part of the communist party. The debates over the documents and the federal holiday followed for two days. The bill was eventually passed in a vote of 78-22. Immediately after its passing, President Ronald Reagan signed the bill into law. Although its original observance was in 1986, it wouldn’t be until 2000 that all 50 states observed the holiday. 

NAACP

By 1980 things were finally starting to look up, “By then, the CBC had collected six million signatures in support of a federal holiday in honor of King” (Blakemore). Public support for the holiday continued to grow with the hit song by Stevie Wonder, “Happy Birthday”, urging voters and lawmakers to support the federal holiday. On the 20th and 15th anniversaries of Martin Luther King Jr’s “I Have a Dream” speech and his assassination, veterans of the Civil Rights Movement gathered as it seemed as though the 15 years battle of the CBC arguing for the introduction of King’s holiday would soon come to a positive ending. The bill passed in the House vote of 338 to 90. But, once again, the bill met resistance in Congress. Jesse Helms, a senator from North Carolina attempted to smear Martin Luther King Jr’s character with documents alleging the activist was a part of the communist party. The debates over the documents and the federal holiday followed for two days. The bill was eventually passed in a vote of 78-22. Immediately after its passing, President Ronald Reagan signed the bill into law. 

Art by Dayat Banggai

Although its original observance was in 1986, it wouldn’t be until 2000 that all 50 states observed the holiday.Regardless of the resistance presented when advocating for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, just like the man it honors, the politicians and activists in support of the holiday, remained persistent. Today, Martin Luther King Jr. Day is celebrated nationwide, encouraging citizens to memorialize his legacy and help their communities.