The Dragon Post

The Student News Site of Honokaʻa High and Intermediate School

• Happy Earth Day

Announcements

Happy Earth Day

• Q4: Finish Strong!

Announcements

Q4: Finish Strong!

• 2024 HACAC Student Scholarship

Announcements

2024 HACAC Student Scholarship

• CTE Fair 2024: Congratulations to Mr. Mendoza and DECA!

Announcements

CTE Fair 2024: Congratulations to Mr. Mendoza and DECA!

• Washburns HHIS Jazz Band Tours Oahu

Arts & Entertainment

Washburn’s HHIS Jazz Band Tours Oahu

• Who Do I Look Up To?

Student Voices

Who Do I Look Up To?

• Earth Day

Features

Earth Day

• The Effects of Plastic Pollution on Hawaiis Marine Life

News

The Effects of Plastic Pollution on Hawaii’s Marine Life

• All the Worlds a Stage . . .

Student Voices

All the World’s a Stage . . .

• Baristas at the Anela Cafe

News

Cafe ‘Anela

The Dragon Post

The Dragon Post

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Dragon Basketball

Lets Take it to States!
Dragons Varsity 2023-24

It’s halfway through the 2023-2024 basketball season! We took the opportunity to receive a short overview from Varsity Coach, Brandon Robles and player, Raven Labrador.

Raven, Coach Brandon and Reign Barrios showing Dragon Pride

Coach Brandon is Honoka’a High’s Varsity Boys Basketball Coach. He has been assistant coach since the year 2013. This year, he stepped up and took the responsibility of being varsity’s head coach. His team sees him as a role model who inspires his players to be the best they can be on and off the court.

DP: “How’s the basketball season going so far?”

Coach Brandon: “The season is going good so far. We got a few more games to go in the season and playoffs are just in a few weeks, and hopefully on to STATES.”

DP: “Can you tell us about some highlights?”

Coach Brandon: “The whole season has been a highlight.  But as a coach, seeing boys become men on and off the court, is better than that “Big W”.”

DP: “Who do you see as your strongest players?”

Coach Brandon: “We are only as strong as our weakest link, EVERYONE has their unique strengths that contribute to the team’s success’ as a whole.”

DP: “What do you hope your players take away with them this year and do you have any advice for aspiring athletes?”

Coach Brandon: “Memories, both good and better, life skills and greater a work ethic cause the way you do anything is the way you do everything.  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of convenience and comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.  Grit and integrity. For aspiring athletes… fully commit and remember you’re a STUDENT athlete… in that order. Grades get you on the court.”

Raven Labrador working the court.

Raven Labrador, current sophomore at Honoka’a, has been selected to play on the boy’s varsity team since his freshman year. He’s a big contributor to the team and is looking forward to facing the challenges that come his way. We got the chance to gain his insights of the season.

DP:” Raven, how does it feel to be on varsity for your first year of high school?”

Raven: “Being on the varsity team during my freshman year was definitely one of the best years I’ve experienced due to the people we had that year. It was pretty amazing being a freshman on the varsity team. Even though it was fun, it was definitely one of the hardest years I’ve experienced due to the fact that I was new to the system and I had to learn many plays in just a matter of time.”

DP: “There are many incredible seniors starting this season, as a sophomore, does this affect your playing time?”

Raven: “Being one of the youngest on the team is definitely hard to gain playing time. Just like you said, we have many great seniors and also juniors that are fighting for the same goal as me, but that doesn’t mean I should be overwhelmed by it. Our coaches gave us opportunities and reasons why we have to earn it, we just have to show them that we are capable of doing it.”

DP: “Would you rather play as much as you can on the junior varsity team or not have as much playing time on varsity?”

Raven: “I would pick to not have as much playing time on varsity. It is because of the competition and competitiveness of the people in our division. They make me better as well as knowing more about the game and improving my own skills. There’s always room for improvement in my opinion and being on a whole other level makes me realize that there are higher levels out there. There will always be someone that is better than you.” 

DP: “Any advice for future freshman on varsity?”

Raven: “Put the work in. Give it all you have. Always try your best Practice how you play. Ask coaches for advice and know the important plays. Have a positive mindset and body language. Be respectful. Be patient. Be responsible. And have fun.”

DP: “You’ve had your best and worst games this season, what’s a quote that has always stuck with you that you’d like to share with us?”

Raven: “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times, I’ve trusted to take the game-winning shots and missed. I’ve failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed”. – Michael Jordan

“It means that it’s not about the number of times you fall, but the number of times you get back up. Taha.”

View Comments (1)